Gypsies as Israelites? (3 May 2017, 8 Iyar, 5777)
It was asked whether or not the Roma (Gypsies) were from the Ten Tribes.
Could it be true that the Roma people are part of the lost tribes of Israel?
Roma is another name for the Gypsies.
DNA studies claim the Roma are related to the "dalit" or "untouchable" castes of India.
Their own traditions and linguistics studies also relate them to India.
There may be similarities in some of their customs to those of the Ancient Hebrews.
After childbirth their women maintain a state of impurity for 40 days.
They also consider menstruation to be impure and to be kept separate from by men.
These are similar to Biblical injunctions.
This however is not enough in itself.
They are reputed to have other practices that are against the Biblical commandments.
We identify the Lost Ten Tribes by Biblical and Empirical Evidence. This supplies us with Points of Criteria that work.
We find the Lost Ten Tribes as being pre-eminently among the peoples of Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Netherlands, France, Switzerland, Wales, Ireland, North Ireland, Scotland, and England with their offshoots overseas in Canada, USA, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa.
We use certain characteristics as Criteria to determine which nations have historically been dominated by Israelites and which have not.
The Criteria are:
1. Blessings: Economic and Physical Blessings as promised to Israel in Scripture.
2. Indications of Scripture.
3. Groundwork: Historical, Archaeological, and Related Proofs showing paths of migration.
4. Judah: Affinity with the Jews.
5. Originality: Innovation and Intellect.
6. Bravery, Military Prowess.
7. Empathy: The Doing of Social Justice.
8. Israelite Self-Identification.
9. Family Connection.
10. Tribal Affiliation.
These Criteria are expounded upon at more length in our article,
Who is Descended from Israelites According to Prophecy
Applying these Criteria to the Roma, we find:
1. Blessings. The Roma are not noted for having been blessed beyond the level of those among whom they dwell. On the contrary.
2. Indications of Scripture. There are no indications of Scripture as far as know.
3. Groundwork: There is no historical or other link between Ancient Israel and the Roma.
4. Judah: Affinity with the Jews. The Roma are not noted as being anti-Jewish as far as I know but neither did they tend in the opposite direction.
5. Originality: Innovation and Intellect. The Roma are workers with metal and possess some degree of ingenuity but their intellectual achievements are not considered as notable ones.
6. Bravery, Military Prowess. The Roma did have this to some degree.
7. Empathy: The Doing of Social Justice. The Roma by report often do show some empathy for the oppressed.
8. Israelite Self-Identification. The Roma lack this as far we know. They do not consider themselves Hebrews and never have.
9. Family Connection. There is no connection between other peoples identified as Israelites and the Roma.
10. Tribal Affiliation. There is no connection to any Israelite Tribe.
The Roma are theretofore not descendants of the Lost Ten Tribes. They may meet three of the 10 requirements and on some of the others the matter may perhaps be debated. Nevertheless this is not enough.
The historical truth is lacking.